Monday, November 15, 2010

Quick update

So I made it past break in... whew. I was fairly well behaved too. Instead of waiting until the "magical" 1000 mile mark before exceeded 4k rpms, I implemented a staged break in approach. I kept the rpms in check until around 400 miles or so, then I would increase the rpm limit by 500 every 100 miles after that. When I would get the engine revving up into the higher ranges, I would do it in a controlled and linear fashion (i.e. not jumping all over the throttle). I figure I would slowly ratchet up engine speed over time without applying any undue stress.

During the break in period, I was most careful about avoiding driving at the same rpm for extended periods of time. I didn't want the piston rings to wear in unevenly, figuring that would extend the life of the motor over the long haul. Hopefully I did a good job. I swear I could feel the engine "loosen up" as I drove it, especially around the 500 mile mark or so. It seemed to get noticeably smoother and faster as I went.

Anyway, that's all behind my now so I can relax and have fun driving it. I did change the oil at 1k miles using Shell Rotella T synthetic. I've used this oil in just about everything and love it. It allowed my road bike to shift much better in colder weather, and I even use 10 gallons of it as hydraulic fluid in my tractor. It was on sale and I bought several gallons. Walmart usually has the cheapest price if you can find it.

Speaking of oil changes... I think my next little DIY project is going to be related to this topic. It might be a month or two away at least, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Well this hasnt been updated in years, but hope you still enjoy your WRX like I do...I've gone to around 2 track events per year with basically a stock WRX....just better pads and slotted rotors and decent summer tires are all I have...lots of sun

    ReplyDelete